Sunday, November 10, 2002

My new homeland, my former enemy's friend.

It is ironic few weeks after I received my Canadian citizenship and I relocated to Montréal/Quebec I saw this documentary about Gerald Bull on CBC's Fifth estate. I found his finger prints all over my nightmares back in a big slice of my and many others' lives:

If and when arms inspectors return to Iraq, they will be on the lookout for all kinds of biological and chemical weapons of mass destruction (See "The Secret Killer"). But they will also be looking at Saddam Hussein's conventional arsenal. And experts predict they may just come upon blueprints - maybe even fingerprints - belonging to the late Gerald Bull. Once a darling of the North American defense establishment, Canadian Gerald Bull spent his last years in exile in Belgium, dreaming up powerful weapons and selling his designs to whomever he chose. And though his life ended in a hail of bullets a decade ago, his legacy lives on...CBC Newsworld - Fifth estate
During the Iran-Iraq war we were living hundreds miles away from the front line, but once in a while Saddam bombed Tehran or fired missiles toward the capital. Many civilians were killed. We were living in a state of fear for 8 years, though we were the lucky ones, never mind about those who got killed or paralyzed. Here is the ironic part, those missiles were crafted by a Canadian astrophysicist, Gerald Bull. He began researching and developing the predecessors of those missiles back in 1960s in McGill university here in Montréal.
I remember vividly on a weekend night, one of those missiles hit a 4 storey building in a busy residential area. That night there was a birthday party in that building and more than 40 kids were burnt to ashes instantly.

No comments: